Jute rugs are quite popular because they are eco-friendly and affordable. In addition to that, they are very low maintenance. Jute rug cleaning is different from other types of rugs because it is made of all-natural fibres.
In this article, we will share some easy to use rug cleaning hacks that you can try at home to clean your jute rug easily and safely.
For routine jute rug cleaning, follow this method:
- Vacuum clean the rug from left to right, following the weave.
- Use a spatula to brush off stuck particles of soil in the fibre.
- Shake or beat the rug to dust off debris from the rug.
- Put jute rug under direct sunlight to deodorize and disinfect it naturally.
Removing stains from a jute rug is a bit difficult job, but not impossible. Use this jute rug cleaning method:
- Blot the liquid as much as you can.
- Dust salt on the affected area generously. Let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes to soak the stain from the carpet.
- Vacuum clean salt from the surface.
- To completely remove the stain, dust some baking soda and leave it for three to seven hours. It will leave a bleaching effect on the rug without hampering the fibre. It will clean the stain and deodorize it, too.
- Vacuum clean baking soda in the last step of this rug cleaning hack.
- You must use the dry rug cleaning method to remove stains, so if anything spills in front of you, you must act fast.
- To get the moisture out of the carpet, take an absorbent cloth and press it on the spot to remove moisture as much as possible.
- Make a cleaning solution by mixing equal parts of white vinegar and water.
- Take a clean cloth for the next step of jute cleaning. Damp this cloth into the cleaning solution.
- Use the moistened cloth to gently scrub the stain. Don’t push or rub it hard else it may push stain deep into the fibre and can also damage the fibre.
- Clean the area until the stain is removed from the carpet.
- Once the stain is removed, clean the affected jute rug area using a fan, ventilation or even a hairdryer.
Jute Rug Maintenance Tips
- Jute rugs are very low maintenance but still needs care.
- If possible use rug cleaning solutions that are made for jute rugs
- Use professional jute rug cleaning service for oil-based or stubborn stains that are not removed with DIY cleaning hacks.
- Don’t wash the jute rug or clean it with water or steam at home.
- Use dry rug cleaning methods only to clean the jute rug.
- Vacuuming and shaking the jute rug once or twice a week is a must.
- Use a professional jute rug cleaning service at a regular interval as per the instruction of your rug cleaning company.